In OALN’s webinar ep. 2 (2020) Emily Galloway presented the four hallmarks of instruction that builds language skills:
- Read a variety of texts that feature big ideas and rich content. Examples of readings.
- Who are refugees and migrants? What makes people leave homes By Mikal Rosen & Amer Young
- Flying lessons.
- A rich collection of short stories. Written by authors from diverse linguistic communities.
- Inside out and back again
- Use extended writing as a platform to build language and knowledge
- Talk/discuss to build language and knowledge
- Study a small set of high-utility academic language features (Core Academic Language Skills) needed to master language and content